If you need the services of a lawyer for general contractors and sub-contractors, contact Fiset Légal. We have more than a dozen years of experience in construction law. Our lawyers therefore have the necessary skills to:
- Drafting a contract for a general contractor or subcontractor
- Mediation when there is a dispute with a contractor or subcontracting companies
- Assert your rights by offering you a quality defense in the event of a civil dispute
Learn more about your rights and responsibilities thanks to our lawyers specialized in construction law.
Definition of a general contractor and sub-contractor: role and responsibilities
The chapters 7 and 8 of the Civil Code of Quebec cover all information relating to work providers and subcontractors. These articles explain the contractual responsibilities that set them apart.
Our lawyers for general contractors and subcontractors are happy to inform you about what differentiates them in a construction contract.
The role of the general contractor
- Call for tenders and hire sub-contractors for the construction project.
- Pay subcontractors for the services rendered according to the amount agreed between the two parties.
- Ensure and enable the execution of the services established in the construction contracts.
- Use the means necessary to provide a safe construction site that protects the health of subcontractors.
The responsibilities of the general contractor
- Inform subcontractors and provide the necessary material for the performance of the service contract.
- It is the client's responsibility to check the goods. Even if the sub-contractor is the person providing them. If they are unusable, the contractor must inform the subcontractor. Otherwise, he may be held liable for damage caused by the use of defective goods.
- When the work is more expensive than expected, inform and justify the cost increase to the client.
- The contractor is also required to inform the client about the progress of the work, the services rendered and the expenses already incurred.
- General contractors are also presumed responsible for the loss of the work for 5 years after the end of the work when the hidden defect comes from the design, the construction, the realization or the ground.
The role of the subcontractor
- Execute the construction works under the supervision and direction of the general contractor in exchange for a remuneration agreed between the parties.
- Execute the work within the prescribed deadlines if it is a fixed-term construction contract.
- Demonstrate honesty and loyalty towards the work provider. For example, by not making use of the confidential information to which he will have access during the works.
The responsibilities of the subcontractor
- Work with care and diligence in complying with established safety standards depending on the work to be done.
- If the subcontractor is the supplier of materials, it is imperative that he ensures that these goods are of good quality. The sub-contractor is bound by the same guarantee as the seller. However, it is the responsibility of the general contractor to confirm their quality and usability.
- Inform and justify an increase in costs to the general contractor.
Contracts that require expertise that only a lawyer for general contractors and subcontractors has
Imprecise wording can lead to a denunciation of a construction contract or a dispute with the construction contractor. Entrusting the drafting to a lawyer is a good way to ensure the compliance of your business contract.
Our lawyers are familiar with the standards of building management and the Building Code. They are therefore able to draft professional contracts that protect you from construction disputes.
Quality representation by a lawyer for general contractors and sub-contractors in the event of complex disputes
In some cases, you may need a lawyer to represent you in court. Some minor disputes settle out of court.However, some more complex situations can also go to superior court.
Our commercial litigation lawyers are all members of the bar. We therefore offer you a professional representation service in all legal forums. Trust our firm in the event of a house construction or other building dispute.
Contact the Fiset legal firm to find a lawyer for general contractors and sub-contractors
You need a real estate lawyer, mediator or litigation specialist? The firm Fiset Légal and its lawyers specializing in construction law are there to help you.
Do not hesitate to contact us to discuss the drafting of a contract, a dispute or to appeal to a mediator lawyer. We will take the time necessary to listen to you and offer you legal advice adapted to your situation.
FISET legal is a law firm offering comprehensive expertise, at your service for 10+ years.
Our attorneys offer their expertise in litigation and in real estate law, condominium law, construction law and all other related legal fields.
Our attorneys aim at advising you strategically, in your best interest and in order to optimise the results on file, proportionally considering the costs and the complexity of the file. We act in complex as well as in simpler cases.